Tuesday, December 15, 2009

GOT's Best of the Decade.....


Where's the Rawk, people!!!!!

Ok, Rolling Stone mostly fumbled this month by ignoring much of the decade's real rock and roll in favor of the banal, the bland and the basically boring (for my REO-loving friends out there, "banal" means trite and predictable. Terms you should be totally familiar with).

But after slagging several of the mag's top picks (good call on Bruce, btw) it's only right to offer up my own opinions for public ridicule.
Whaddya think, rawkers -- condone or condemn (the following offered in random order).

AC/DC -- Black Ice (2008). The aging school-yard bullies offer up a fresh, hard punch in the face, bloodying the nose of today's wimpy wuss crap. And I'm cheering 'em on. Nice work, fellas. Let's see the tour.

U2 -- While i know many of you can't stand the band, i happen to think they are great. And they did the decade well by sprinkling it with three great rock albums that feature some wonderful stuff: All That You Can't Leave Behind (2000), How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (2004) and No Line on the Horizon (2009). Really fantastic material here and i can't wait to see them in Seattle June 20. Yeah, Bono is a turd who's opinion of himself is a bit over the top, but i can ignore that. A LOT of credit goes to ANY band who has made a ton of music but keeps putting out interesting music.
Bruce Springsteen -- Five fine offerings: The Rising (2002), Devils & Dust (2005), We Shall Overcome -- the Pete Seeger Sessions (2006), Magic (2007) and Working On a Dream (2009). Major props for output and variety alone by a rawk legend. Never really been a Born to Run fan, but Bruce won me over during the 00's. Beyonce indeed....
Green Day -- These guys are the real deal and carry rawk's banner aloft loudly and proudly. Happy to say i'm a fan. I LOVED American Idiot (2004), and think 21st Century Breakdown (2009) is a great album as well.
Metallica -- Shoved metal up your @$$ with Death Magnetic (2008) and ensured that the heavy stuff would remain alive and well late into the decade and beyond. Was kinda uncomfortable with Some Kind of Monster video though..... metal masters getting touchy-feely make me a bit uncomfortable.

The Beatles -- Let it Be....Naked. Finally fixed the mistakes made in 1969 by producer Phil Spector. The release allows the music to be heard as it was intended. Hear it again for the first time.... The title track alone is worth the price by itself.

You'll probably disagree, and i can't wait to hear it.

Go in peace....

G.O.T.

7 comments:

  1. Other than the Green Day albums, I can't say I've heard a single cut on any of the other albums, not even Metallica. AC/DC is like The Stones- go away old men- your time was up decades ago. If Springsteen had to rely on me to make a living, he might be The Boss at the Jersey Landfill. The next RAWK album U2 makes will be their first. They are adult contemporary music.
    The Beatle thing I didn't know about. I might have to check it out.
    Early 2000's there was some good albums- Godsmack, System of a Down, Zombie, Trapt, et al., but for the last 5 or 6 yrs all I can remember buying is some Kid Rock and Sammy Hagar.
    I'm getting old and forgetful but that's all I can remember.

    P.S. I think I did buy Best of REO CD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jerry, if you really wanna get jiggy wit it, i have to endorse the 2000 decade offerings of Lamb of God. Freaking BLISTERING metal! Saw them here in Salem opening for Slayer two years ago and they flat out killed. Amazingly heavy and smart metal.

    Can't stand System of a Down. You know i love Zombie, but he's not the best of the decade. Godsmack is seriously great, but just not A Team material in my book. Even though i have all their albums.

    Oh, and btw, i LOVE Kid Rock and Eminem. Especially the green ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, DO check out the Metallica album. They went back to more of an old school Metallica sound. I really like it....cool album.

    Haven't checked out the new KISS album -- still can't quite get past the WalMart exclusive thing.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't quite get past Gene Simmons reality show. I guess this is why I don't listen to much rock anymore except the "classic" kind. All those bands I mentioned were good for one or two albums, but that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just read your post again. "Never been a Born To Run fan"? That was the last good song he had. I don't think I have heard a single song from an album in the 00's. Heard the worst X-mas song ever today. Bruce shitting on Santa Claus Is Coming To Town.
    There's a subject for you GOT- best X-mas songs ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bruce's SCICTT is the definitive version in my book.

    And if you haven't heard a single song from the 00's how can you say Born To Run was the last good song he had?

    (B!)

    ReplyDelete