Sunday, November 29, 2009

Let us give thanks (and make the devil sign....)

Good evening Rawkers. Holidays have put posts on hold. And the break started me thinking about all the things for which I'm thankful. Always good to get perspective on what's REALLY important.... Let's review my top five.

1. For Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce, the best ryhthm section in rock. Eric Clapton is the extra stocking stuffer that makes Cream the perfect gift for the person who has everything.

2. That Miles Davis recorded "Kind of Blue" with Coltrane, Cannonball, etc. Arguably the best album ever recorded.

3. That John met Paul, that Elton met Bernie, that Bruce met Clarence, that Geezer, Bill and Tony met Ozzy, and for all the other auspicious connections that created amazing bodies of musical work.

4. For all the now-dead but forever greats who had the opportunity to lay their legacies on vinyl, tape and digital and push the boundaries of their (and our) passion ever forward. My list includes, but is not limited to, John Lennon, Jimi Hendrix, SRV, Marvin Gaye, Ronnie Van Zant, Allen Collins, Jim Morrison, Freddie Mercury, Joe Strummer, John Bonham, John Entwistle, Keith Moon, Dimebag, Duane Allman, George Harrison, Ray Charles, David Ruffin, Eddie Kendricks, Melvin Franklin, Paul Williams, Kurt Cobain, Buddy Holly, Terry Kath, Brian Jones, Phil Lynott, Bob Marley, Bon Scott, Sam Cooke.

5. That I've never seen REO Lame-wagon in concert or owned an album or cd. Thank you Father Rock-mas for that special holiday blessing.

Go in holiday peace....

G.O.T.

6 comments:

  1. Should I burn my REO albums or regift them?
    Can I at least keep the live album?
    I kinda like "Riding the Storm Out"

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Riding The Storm Out" rocks with the best of them. GOT is nuts. Miles Davis?, Coltrane?, Cannonball? WTF!!!! Maybe best album ever? I just threw up. What the hell is that? And I can do without Elton and Bernie too- horrible vanilla crap!!!! Now Bob Marley, that's a whole topic of it's own- We be Jammin Mon!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just remembered something. I have mentioned to a bunch of friends of mine, the ones I grew up with listening to Sabbath, KISS, Deep Purple, Doobies, Grand Funk, Zep, ZZ Top, Skynard, Nugent et al. about GOTs affinity for REO. They all, to a man, look at me and say "Is he nuts?" REO was f'n great, especially the Micheal Martin days. And from now on I'll just tell them "What does he know, he likes Jazz"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jerry, Have you ever listened to Kind of Blue?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not if it was Jazz!!! Sounds like a bunch of marching band boy horn blowers all tuning their instruments in a different key.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where is Otis? He should be on the list of Gone But Not Forgotten!

    I know you said 'not limited to' but that is a major oversight.

    And you list John and George, but not Paul? miss him, miss him!

    (B!)

    ReplyDelete