Friday, September 25, 2009

'69 -- more than just a fun number....

Starting this blog (which began less than a week ago) has certainly brought into focus for me the rock and roll that really means something to me. And it has forced me to think about "why". As I considered tonight's post, I began to ponder the years that were most significant in terms of rock history -- the releases, the bands and the developments that shaped who I am today musically, both as a listener and as a performer.

Can there be ANY year more important in rock than 1969? Sure, other years had monumental events -- debuts, deaths, breakups -- and surely cases can be made for the import of such years. However, in the mind of THIS blogger, none stands out like the year of Super Bowl III (Jets win over favored Colts).

I was only six years old in '69 and was not yet cognizant of the musical explosions taking place around the world. And little did I know the impact such developments would have on my musical tastes.

So try on my shoes and get a load of the following blockbusters, each of which would easily make a newsworthy year in its own right:

(Note: before you jump my biscuits about what's on the list and what's not, this is NOT a complete historical catelogue. It's just some of the highlights that mean something to ME. No doubt there were developments that mean more to you....)

Led Zeppelin debut albums (Led Zeppelin I & II)
Crosby, Stills & Nash debut album (self-titled)
Bob Marley debut album (Soul Shakedown)
Santana debut album (self-titled)
Yes debut album (self-titled)
The Velvet Underground debut album (self-titled)
Chicago debut album (Chicago Transit Authority)
the Jackson 5 debut album (Diana Ross presents....)
David Bowie debut single (Space Oddity)
Cream's last album (Goodbye)
the Who release "Tommy"
Beatles' Abbey Road released, and perform in public for last time on the roof of London's Apple Records
Woodstock held in Bethel, NY
the Rolling Stones "Altamont" festival at the Altamont Speedway in California
Blind Faith formed
Black Sabbath formed
ZZ Top formed
the Allman Brothers Band formed
Judas Priest formed
the Doobie Brothers formed

This is some pretty heavy weight stuff people. I'm open to dispute if you think you can make a case... but I kinda doubt it can be made. This was a year of spontaneous rock and roll combustion. I mean, just look at the sledgehammers that FORMED in '69, for crying out loud in the dark night!

And by the way, in response to those who think I am so hopelessly mired in the past that I can't see beyond the smoke and the flowers, the God of Thunder is preparing an upcoming post that takes a look at rock and roll 40 years later -- in the year 2009. No pre-judgments. Just an honest look (from my perspective) on the state of rock and roll. Hope you enjoy.

Go in peace....

G.O.T.

2 comments:

  1. The Doors released "Soft Parade". Anything The Doors did was significant

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Velvet Underground's debut was 'The Velvet Underground and Nico' in 1967. The self-titled was their third (though maybe best)

    With some time, I might make a case for 1967 beating '69.

    Doors debut and Strange Days
    Sgt. Pepper's & Magical Mystery Tour
    Are You Experienced? & Axis
    Smile recorded
    Bowie debut
    Monterey Pop (trumps Woodstock and Altmont)
    Bee Gee's 1st
    Days of Future Passed
    Surrealistic Pillow
    Big Brother & the Holding Co debut
    Buffalo Springfield debut
    Grateful Dead debut
    Love's Forever Changes
    Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    --'Summer of Love'

    ReplyDelete