Monday, September 21, 2009

Setting the stage....

Let's be clear about some basic parameters at this early stage. Really, it's comments, musings, opinions, ramblings and riffs on all things music prior to 1990, with a special emphasis on rawk and rohl. But with side routes to inspect the gorgeous landscapes and tapastries of Motown, Funk, Jazz, Metal, Pop and other genres of personal interest.

Why 1990? Not sure, really. Other than it marks the end of when a lot of music began to be "less interesting". I reserve the right to narrow dates of interest, or to expand beyond.

And yes, I classify 80's hair metal as interesting....not only for metallic pop sensibility, but because of the spectacle. And no, i don't find Madonna interesting, except when in a coffee table art/photo book. She can dance, she can self-promote, she photographs well, but the girl just...can't... sing. I mean really.... More on that in a special post on another day.

Now, are many of my preferences derivative, banal and otherwise of no interest to many of you? Without a doubt. I'm not so self-absorbed as to think I have better taste than anyone else. (I just have better taste than most....:-)

So walk with me, if you will, down the roads to Heaven and Hell (nod to Dio-Sabbath), and be prepared to be offended and uplifted. Please argue with me.... And take my responses in the good-natured spirit in which i intend them.

The God of Thunder is with you always..... Rest in pieces....

GOT

1 comment:

  1. I probably have a different perspective on musin than GOT. Growing up in Oklahoma, I was equally into KISS and Merle Haggard, Black Sabbath and Willie Nelson, Metallica and Hank Williams Jr, Deep Purple and George Jones. If it'd good it's good no matter what. In the 90's the only rock I can even remember listening to at all was Metallica and maybe some grunge. I did like Soundgarden, Pearl Jam and Mr Cobain a bit, but got tired of grunge real quick. Metallica and Van Hagar kept my ears full along with Jimmy Buffett and of course Gary Stewart, Dwight Yochum, Garth Brooks, George Strait and Travis Tritt. I know- country is not RAWK- but it does rock. Today it is Cross Canadian Ragweed- now they rock.

    ReplyDelete