Sunday, October 11, 2009

A day with Green Day is a Good Day....


Good afternoon rawkers. I covered some heavy topics lately -- how bad Madonna and REO Lamewagon are, and how cool Pantera and Black Sabbath are..... Very deep stuff that requires serious frontal lobe work. So let's take a break, sit back and enjoy some ear candy from one of the best bands to come along in 20 years, GREEN DAY.

While I usually focus on older music, I DID promise to focus occasionally on a few newer bands that were worthy of the Rawker moniker, and these kids definitely have IT. I just love 'em.

I have to admit to not wanting to like them at first. But they have grown on me and I just keep liking them more and more. Personal fave cuts include:

Almost everything off almost every album.

They are just an unbelievably fun band -- great musical chops, great songwriting, great vocals, great timing.... The list goes on. This is a band that has learned the best lessons in punk sensibility and simplicity from the Ramones and the Clash, as well as the best melodic lessons from Lennon/McCartney and Van Morrison. Am I exaggerating? Just give a listen to a variety of cuts (not ONLY the hits) and tell me it doesn't have all of the above. If you don't think Green Day is a GREAT band, my view is that you either a) haven't given them enough of a listen, or
b)you are a closed-minded dunderhead. The first can be fixed. The second, well....

Go in peace.

G.O.T.

2 comments:

  1. Green Day is cool. One of the only bands of that era I like to listen to along with Foo Fighters(much better than Nirvana). I don't agree with all the hardcore punk fans that they sold out and became famous so now they don't count. That's absurd. This kind of goes to my discussion about Metallica which I have never commented on yet. I was not much of a Metallica fan until "And Justice For All" and then became a true believer with the release of the "Black Album". Yes I went back and listened to the old stuff I previously thought was mindless speed metal and became a fan of the old stuff. Like Jason said when being accused of "selling out"- Yea 20,000 seats a night.
    Same for Green Day. Could there ever be a greater rock/punk line than "sometimes I give myself the creeps"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the best concerts I've seen.

    ReplyDelete