Thursday, October 1, 2009

Motown is Hitsville, USA...and loved by Rawkers!


It may be time for the God of Thunder to tap an entirely different musical vein by digging into that rich catelogue offered by none other than Motown and classic rhythm and blues. What a mine!

Who's number one? No contest. The "tempting" Temptations.

Gimme the edge of David Ruffin, paired with the gorgeous tenor of Eddie Kendricks, to sing their best melodies (My Girl, Ain't Too Proud to Beg, I Wish it Would Rain, I Know I'm Losing You).

That greatness notwithstanding, Dennis Edwards (formerly with the Contours) did a great job taking over the lead vocals after Ruffin was canned (Edwards singing lead on Cloud Nine, Papa Was A Rolling Stone, I Can't Get Next to You, Ball of Confusion, etc.).

For the uninitiated, the 1998 movie "The Temptations" (directed by Allan Arkush) is a FANTASTIC overview of their career and music. If you love Motown, the film will not disappoint.

Other great Motown acts? Of course, there are many, with Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Diana Ross & the Supremes, and the Jackson 5 being four of the brightest stars. Also love the Four Tops, the Spinners, Jr. Walker & the All Stars, and later, the Commodores and Lionel Richie.
I never cared for Smokey too much, even though he wrote a number of the hits for the Tempts. Something about his voice just rubs me the wrong way. No denying his talent though.
Anyway, one of my favorite play lists is all Tempts, and includes some of the solo offerings of Ruffin (My Whole World Ended, I Don't Want To Be Right) and Kendricks (Boogie Down, Up In Smoke, Keep On Truckin').
With band founder Otis Williams as the only surviving original member, the classic lineup will never be seen again. But the music lives on, brother. And it's still wonderful.
Go in peace....
God of Thunder

2 comments:

  1. What about Otis Day and The Knights- were they Motown?
    Motown was fantastic music. I don't know how to say this without it sounding racial but it's a fact. Motown music was back when black people made great music unlike the crap cranked out these days.
    I could listen to the Temptations and the Supremes all day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to read a Rockin' Jerry comment that doesn't cause my eyes to roll. Well said Jerry!

    ReplyDelete