Thursday, October 1, 2009

KISS!!!



"You wanted the best, and you got it...."

Kicking off the famous '75 album Alive!, those legendary words introduced to many of us the hottest band in the land, KISS!!!

Tons of us rawkers had our taste for rock shoved down our throats by this awesome foursome. Think what you want, these were not a bunch of cartoons who picked up electric instruments. They were/are serious rockers with EXPERT marketing sensibility, who happen to make rock and roll a complete flame-throwing, blood-spitting, chick-digging, hard-rocking spectacle -- all while jamming some of the coolest tunes ever penned. These lads did one thing and one thing very well... they always went FLAT OUT (props to DD)!

I said in a previous blog that rock and roll is about communicating emotion. The muse Kiss seems to have selected as a priority, and which worked to a perfect T & A, is....: Teen Angst (what did YOU think i was going to say?). Emotion indeed!

And to see them live? Whoo boy. An experience like no other.

Those of us who grew up in the 70s and had forgotten slightly what is was all about were reminded with the perfectly executed film "Detroit Rock City", with a prominently and appropriately placed final sequence of Kiss in concert.

Of course, they have had their line-up challenges and changes on the drum throne and on the Lead Les Paul. But at their core, these guys have maintained true to their roots and their fan base and have churned out absolute ANTHEMS to sex, partying and good time rock and roll.

My Fave Cuts?

Cold Gin

Black Diamond

Parasite

She
Detroit Rock City

Firehouse

and of course...God of Thunder!

If you haven't given them a chance to rawk ya, give em' a shot. You won't be sorry.
Join the Kiss army, baby!
Go in peace....
G.O.T.

2 comments:

  1. Finall we agree on something again. KISS WAS the mid 70's. Again, like the first Van Halen, I remember the first moment I heard KISS. Spring 1974, I was 15, a friend had gone to Oklahoma City and came back with a pre-release album he got from a relative that worked at a radio station. He called me to come listen to it. I looked at the album cover and thought "Who are these freaks". Then the needle was placed on the album....hisssss pop pop pop STRUTTER, Nothin' To Lose, Firehouse, Cold Gin....all the way through to Black Diamond. I don't think I listened to another band for a year. I wore that album out so many times and had to buy a new one, I can't count. Every album, every song was great right up until 1979. Then Dynasty was released- the bad years, Unmasked, The Elder. Then the re-birth, Creatures Of The Night then Lick It Up. I remember the video of Lick it Up when it premiered on MTV. We were all huddled around the TV for hours waiting, and even though the band now included Eric Carr and Vinnie Vincent, it was still cool.
    I have personally never seen KISS with any lineup other than the original and never would (7 times). If Peter Criss and Ace aren't on stage, it just ain't right. Ace may not have been one of the most technically great guitarest, but he was GREAT. May have influenced more guitarest than anyone ever outside of Clapton and Hendrix. Look at any 80's band and tell me their lead guitarest was not influenced by Ace Frehley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. while Kiss totally freaked me out as a child (I believe they launched about the year I was born), i have to give them a huge shout out for one of my fav songs of all time - Cold Gin. I am sure it is the theme song for many a couple throughout the ages. It always warms my heart to hear them discuss what can keep two people together...

    Love em, hope to see 'em soon. npa

    ReplyDelete