Thursday, October 1, 2009

Your personal theme song.... make it rawk!


Why is it so freakin' cool in the movies when someone walks in a room and a certain song starts to play that perfectly captures their vibe, their essence, their mojo? Like John Shaft, it's always cooool. ( I know you got that Isaac Hayes riff burning through your head right now.....).
Who hasn't thought that it would be great if we could have a theme song play when we everyday Joes walk into a room? At least I have, and i suspect some of you rawkers have as well. We might require different tunes for different occasions, such as:

Entering the board room to give a report at work: "Seek and Destroy" by Metallica. You OWN this presentation, man....

Strutting into a bar on Friday night: "Walk this Way" by Aerosmith. Was a high school loser but i made it with the ladies....

When you settle in with your best "shmoopy" for a romantic evening: "Get it On" by Marvin Gaye. Trite, perhaps, but amazing to get your love on with....

Anyway, you get the idea. But if you had to pick just ONE song to cover the multitude of scenarios you walk into during the course of daily life, what would that ONE song be?

Mine just MIGHT be "Let it Rock" by Bon Jovi. Work with me here.... the long piano intro would be me GETTING THERE, prior to the ACTUAL arrival on the scene. Driving, walking, whatever. My timing will have to be pretty good, folks....Wait for it....

Favorite line, "it's alright (alright) if you have a good time. it's alright (alright) if you wanna cross that line. Break on through to the other side."

But more likely my theme song will be "I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide" by ZZ Top. The little ole' band from Texas has this laid back groove thing happening on this cut that fits me like Lucky Jeans under a Mario's jacket.

"With my New York brim and my gold tooth displayed, no one gives me trouble cuz they know i got it made". Smooth boys, tres smooth....

Food for thought and discussion.... What cranks up in your head when you step into the room? Help us understand the music that fits your joie de vivre.

Go in peace..... (cue exit theme song)

G.O.T.

8 comments:

  1. Shmoopy? Gross!

    Such a simple yet such a difficult question because it depends on one's mood and situation. Is it an advertisement for one's self, display of one's soul, or does it just summarize one's life for one moment in time? "Whatever Lola Wants" by Sarah Vaughan..."My Way" by Frank Sinatra..."Twilight Zone" by Golden Earring...hmmm...OK, time to get serious....

    Although the line "I'm just getting better with time/I'm like Opus One" in "Show Me What You Got" by Jay-Z is super-fitting, rest of the song doesn't fit. For this moment in time, I'm going to shock the G.O.T. by going old-school country. "Ace in the Hole" by George Strait - "No matter what you do, no matter where you go, you've got to have an ace in the hole." The Ella Fitzgerald song of the same name also fits....

    ReplyDelete
  2. TVW, well said. This question takes me back to ponderings at pi phi after a long and productive night of socializing on the other side of campus (shout out to sigma chi). Anyway, I digress. While Madonna had a song to answer this in college, I've matured. Times have changed. I have changed.

    And after some reflection, I have to say Chaka Khan is singin' my song... 'I'm Every Woman.' given where I am today and who I am, the very fabulous Chaka sums it up for me. Cue the music...
    npa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't even comment on anyone that would quote Jay-Z, not even sure who the hell that is.

    When Jerry walks in to the room the music playing is definately Free Bird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I've got BIG BALLS"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is that Big Balls by AC/DC or Big Balls in Cowtown by Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys?

    ReplyDelete
  6. no on cowtown - yes as in altering the crotch on all my pants

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's best not to comment about me, whether it's in regard to Jay-Z or not, or insinuating my poor taste in music. Going back to my original comment, one's personal theme song can go either with the lyrics, or with the riff, or the overall feel of the song. If it was riff alone, it would likely be tied to a cheeseball song, and I, like Homey, don't play that game. Sorry that your mind/musical taste doesn't appear to be expansive enough to go into hip-hop, but mine does. Que sera sera.

    As for AC/DC, right on, crotch-alterations or not....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wouldn't say that the phrase "musical taste" would apply to hip hop. I would say that was "lack of musical taste".

    ReplyDelete